Friday, December 17, 2010

Walking among the stars

I meet American celebrities in the oddest of places. I once met the R&B singer Mario at BWI airport while trying to wiggle out of heavy boots to pass through security. He was in a hurry but he stopped to take a picture with me, a picture that I do not have because the passerby I gave my camera to, possibly did not know how to operate it and so took nothing. I could not run after Mario for another opportunity. And I could not break my camera over the person's head. After all, it was not his fault, I did not have extend-able arms to take the pictures myself.

I met Tamara Tunie on the metro once. She was sitting there with no fan fare, like any regular rider. Smiled even though I stared at her the entire ride--granted, I was trying to ascertain that my eyes were not playing tricks on me. Was more fair than she appears on television and was kind enough to give me an autograph which went in my copy of Ha Jin's A FREE LIFE; a copy that for the life of me, cannot seem to locate. I am bummed about both the loss of my novel and the loss of my autograph. The book I can replace, the autograph will have to wait till when I have the time to stalk and locate Tamara Tunie.
picture from here

So, yesterday, while staring at the list of canceled flights at the airport,who comes walking past me but John King. Now, I can understand how some of you might be like "who?", seeing as the majority don't know any show anchors unless they deal with celebrity gossip. He must have thought the same when I asked quite slow-ly, "Excuse me, but are you on television?".
Nice guy. Smiles, introduces himself, watches in mild amusement as I rummage through my bag for a piece of paper to take his autograph. Found one with itinerary of the person that I had come to meet and he signed it nicely. Shook my hand and everything.

I hope when I too am famous, that I can be as gracious as the famous people who have met me and have treated me nicely.

5 comments:

Azuka said...

Amen.

Brilliantly Me said...

Haha you are quite an amusing person and I love you for that.

ibiluv said...

enjoy your walk with the stars......

LusciousRon said...

I wanna be like that someday.

SilvaDolla said...

i love John King... i have a secret crush on him... I did ride on the same flight from New Orleans to Atlanta with Angie Stone - and I just had to ask her cos she looked different than on TV. And once I was sitting in the next booth from Tony Hawk at the airport - knew he was famous didnt know how until i saw people freaking out.